Friday, July 8, 2011

My broken Toe... original blog 3/9/2008

My Broken Toe

Current mood:bullied
Dear Friends and Family, I am just writting to explain to you all the Absolute worst day in the history of days that I have experienced today. For starters, I was rudely awoken today at the ass crack of dawn. Emily decided it was important to send me ridiculous text messages and awaken me from my slumber. I disagreed. After i slowly wipped the sleep away from my eyes. I started walking towards my door to only hear the words of my mother "HELLO". So my parents were here. I was awake, but barely, and wearing very mismatched pjs and a hoodie. I dont think i have brushed my hair since yesterday morning but I didn't care. Emily was gone getting her oil changed or something as equally entertaining. I hung out with the rents for a little while until Emily and her father both showed up. They had paint supplies and were ready to get started painting the hallway. Seeing there was work to be done my parents decided it was time for them to leave. They left, Emily and her father began to prep the area. I changed into some "painting clothes". And went out and decided to help them. We painted, listened to music, visited, and painted some more. At one point i looked out the back window and noticed neighbors I had never seen before chipping ice away at their driveway. Which is why their new name is "The Chippers". But then i went back to painting. No less than 15 hours later we were FINALLY done with our project, everything was painted, the walls, the ceiling, and the trim x2. We were covered in paint and exhausted and looking forward to a nice relaxing evening of sitting down and watching a movie or 2. But just like in life... sometimes... Plans Change. So Emily and her father go down to the cellar to start washing out their rollers and brushes and water starts coming out of the carefully planned out drainage system that we call a cellar. I dont know who designed this, but it was pretty poor if you ask me. Apon building the house. The designer put in a concrete floor in the cellar with a 2 inch gap around near the walls. They also drilled approximately 18 holes in the foundation so that rain water could run down the holes and into the little gap, run around the cellar and into the water drain in the corner. These amazing designers did not take into consideration what would happen if the water was shooting out of the wall and hitting the floor approximately 2 feet FROM the gap in the floor and running down the floor towards the drain. The cellar starts to flood as Emilys dad is leaving to get coraplast (thin plastic boards for making signs) so that we could put them against the water and redirect it into the 2 inch moat. But as he leaves the moat is filled surrounding the entire cellar and the water is still pouring in faster than it ever should. So Emily and I spring into action. We start emptying tubs and totes that have random things in them that can be tossed out on the tables and start bucket brigading the water into the utility sink. The drain in the floor can't handle all the water and begins to back up. Emily stands guard to the right of the utility sink emptying 2 large bins of water which doesn't sound that hard, but she is doing this under the stairs which means she is constantly hunching over and narrowly missing the boards and nails sticking out from the ceiling to pierce her head and face. I was on post to the left of the washing machine which is to the left of the utility sink. So i have one thin wide tote filling up from 4 of the holes at which point i have to constantly take 2 paint cans and bucket brigade that water to the deeper tote that is filling up right next to it so I can use a mini trash can (that is 2 times the size of the paint buckets) and bucket brigade the water from the bigger tote and throw it over the washing machine into the utility sink. I also have the lid of my wrapping paper plastic storage bin catching water from another 3 holes that i have to pick up and toss into the sink as well approximately every time i transfer water from any of the other 2 bins. While this is all going on we also keep taking turns with another paint can bucket brigading water from a large green beverage bin from directly under the utility sink into the sink and there is also a mop bueckt we have to keep dumping ever 2-3 minutes. This goes on for a very long time. Emilys dad calls and says he is on his way to get the plastic. Emily alerts him that we are in crisis mode. By now we are so soaking wet and the water is still pouring in like there is no tomorrow, the floor is floating away and the drain is backing up. The temperature of the water is approximately 31.5 degrees and we cant feel our legs or arms. I have also accidently doused myself in a bucket of freezing cold water and could prolly ring about 1/2 gallon out of my clothes. We are cold, we are tired, and we both have to pee. The cat by this point has taken higher ground and has pressed himself between the spray foam insulation and the ceiling just watching us clutz around and become more and more annoyed. Her dad finally shows up, sees that the progression of the "problem" has exceeded his expectations and comes over to help us. He lifts somewhere around the neighbor hood of 3 bucket loads of water and decides he is going to Home Depot and buy a sub pump. What seems like 10 hours later... but realisitcally was about 30 minutes he comes back with a new sub pump. Emily and I continue to work and lift and move water as fast as we can as it is still pouring down the walls and floor. We turn around and her dad is reading the directions. We both just look at each other.....Now I know you dont want to mess with electrical appliances in a water soaked room, but we were working our asses off and just to turn around and see him reading kinda cracked me up. So i dont know exactly what happened. But he was angry and picked up the box and left. He disappeared. So after approximately 3 hours of bucket brigading, we quit. The water was still running out onto the floor like a freaken waterfall. I decided we would let it go, do what it had to do, and survey the damage later. We went upstairs started to dry off and quit shivering when her dad re appeared. We found out he stormed back to home depot because he didn't think he got all the parts in the box of the first one and came back with a BRAND new sub pump. He then proceeded to set it up... again. After this one didn't work, we decided to try another outlet. HA! And it FINALLY started to work!! and the water began being pumped out of the cellar and into the yard! YAY! since the water was being swept away into the yard we could finally use the coraplast to re route the water back into the moat. All seemed well. It was about 9pm. The day that started so early and i thought we would be done, and watching movies at like 4-5pm ended up taking quite a few hours more. Her dad finally left, the situation had been maintained (for now) . Clean up will proceed as soon as the water dries :-(. So we finally come upstairs to offically dry off, warm up, and get something to eat. We cook a frozen pizza and have some dinner and get ready to chill for the rest of the evening. As if today couldn't get any worse. So I go to sit on a kitchen stool and mess around with my computer (like i do daily) and i go to place my foot on the bottom spindle of the stool like I always do, my foot slips and my pinky toe grabs ahold of it and gets bent back from what i can imagine to be a 180 degree angle from its original position attached to my foot. I screem and grab the counter. Emily looks up from her place on the couch and I yell "OMG I think my toe fell off! come see if its on the floor!" And wouldn't you know she WOULD NOT come see if my toe fell off. If i was a betting girl i would have bet that my bloody stump of a toe was sitting on her pergo kitchen floor. It hurt so incredibly bad and I couldn't feel my pinky toe any more. So Emily wouldn't use any of her pull at the pain clinic where she works, and wouldn't call a doctor. And she will not cast it. I explained to her i could talk her through a casting. We could use flour, water and news paper. I just made paper mache easter eggs with the residents Thursday! I know it works! She wouldn't do it! So i immediately called maggie and explained to her that I may not be at work on Monday due to my recent injury. I then decided i could prolly work through my pain and be placed on light duty. I will prolly be out of commission for at least 4-6 weeks. Especially since the only person in the entire world that cares about my broken toe is Heather (shout out to Heather and her caring). So since then I have had my poor toe elevated and have been screaming in pain everytime Emily even looks at it. If she isn't going to cast it then she cant touch it. :-( :-( She did ask me if I needed anything. and I explained to her that I might need some Roxynol.... she gave me Ibuprofin. I didn't take it. She was just mocking me. She will not carry me up the stairs, and she will not help me in anyway. She just told me I was being Fussy.... FUSSY! I HAVE A BROKEN TOE!!!! If my roommate will not nurse me back to health then who will?!?!?! no one.... i am left to navigate this deep dark road to recovery alone. I hope I can make it, I will strive to work towards healing. But if the pain is too great and I feel I just can't go on. Please know that I always loved you and cared for you, and I hope someday we can be reunited in the great broken toe waiting room in the sky. Unless your Emily.... and I hope you know, if I die from this, the entire thing is your fault. Thank you! Love always Erin Belden

No comments:

Post a Comment